ttg

TTG

The Amethyst Cat Caper

The Amethyst Cat Caper - Charlie Cochet

Very fun and enjoyable historical mystery novella about Remi, the young owner of a New York City tea house who gets mixed up with a stolen cat statue and finds knocking at his door one grouchy Pinkerton detective by the name of Stanley Hawk.

I was looking for something light and fun, and this novella definitely fit the bill. Well-written, great period dialogue, a little cheeky, very romantic, and low on angst. I loved the chemistry between Remi and Hawk, and how they flitted equally between being attracted, entertained, and infuriated by each other. Their lust is pretty "insta", but the story is only a little over 36,000 words, so I'm pretty forgiving on that point (and the romance between them is very sweet.)

The book, its story and its scene-switching reminded me a lot of an old black and white 1930's mystery comedy, like the Thin Man. Nothing's too dangerous or angsty, and there's a light flow that carries you along. (I wish I could watch this as a movie, although in color to get the full impact of Remi's purple-covered tea room.)

Recommended especially if you like historicals, and also if you're looking for a lighter pick-me-up read. This one is a lot of fun.

I'd definitely look forward to more Remi&Hawk adventures. In the meantime, there's a free sequel novella The Only Star you can grab from the author's website. I'm looking forward to checking it out next.